If there is one thing that motherhood has taught me, it is to always take a step back and look at the bigger picture.
It is slowing down.
It is going with the flow because you can’t plan everything all the time.
It is enjoying life — right now, in this moment, all the time.
It is pure and simple joy in the eyes of a child who is seeing, feeling, experiencing everything for the very first time.
Caleb has shown me that are so many simple joys in the everyday… you just have to look for them.
A small sampling of Caleb’s current joys:
- Bubbles. Lots and lots of bubbles. So many bubbles that you have no other choice but to scream.
- Hearing your favorite song come on and knowing you just have to dance (currently: Sia’s Cheap Thrills).
- Realizing you can drink out of a straw… and feeling like a boss because of it.
- Going for walks in your push car with your mom behind you and your dog beside you.
- Snapchat and all the funny faces.
- Going in the swing and having Dad push you high.
- Crawling over the grass and under the sun.
- A taste (or seven) of Dad’s ice cream and a bite (or five) of Mom’s chocolate cake because they love you and you begged.
- Bouncing on your butt in music class… and stealing another dad’s mallet right out of his hand in a sneak attack from behind during the bell song.
I need to take this as a lesson from my baby boy. Life is about the little things, the simple joys that make life a lot more meaningful.