Today is my 28th birthday! I wanted to do something cool with the number 28, so I settled on a list of 28 accomplishments and cool things I’ve done in my 28 years.1. Became a mom. I mean, hands down this is the best thing I’ve ever done, and also the hardest.
2. Got married.
3. Bought a house.
4. Got my Masters degree.
5. Became a librarian. While I finished my MLS in 2013 and started working in the library in 2010, I didn’t officially become a librarian until last year, though I’d been doing the job for a couple of years as an assistant.
6. Got a tattoo in 2012 for losing 50 pounds. It didn’t hurt as much as I thought it would, in case you were wondering!
7. Trained for and ran a half-marathon (plus a handful of smaller races too).
8. Lost more than 100 pounds. Though I gained a lot of it back with my pregnancy, I’m still proud of what I lost and the amount that I’ve managed to maintain.
9. Became a successful book blogger. I started my blog in 2009 and soon became quite successful, receiving many review books and making a lot of contacts in the book industry. I still review books on occasion now, but have been a lifestyle blogger for the last few years which has been a breath of fresh air and a lot of fun… also an accomplishment!
10. Attended BEA (Book Expo America) as a book blogger in 2011 in NYC. Met SO many authors and bloggers and had a wonderful time. I also brought home more than 100 books, AND I went to dinner with the amazing Beth Hoffman who invited some of her blogger pals out!
11. Adopted Dakota, my very needy dog.
12. Fostered dogs for a bit. I learned a lot about being selfless with this one, but we stopped after the heartbreaking death of one of our fosters who was extremely ill. I truly don’t think my foster journey is over, but right now isn’t the time for me. One day, we will do this again and save more lives.
13. Finally got a Jeep in 2014 after ALWAYS wanting one. I still love it, have had very minimal issues, and will most likely only buy Jeeps from now on.
14. Went to NYC for my 16th birthday to see Rent on broadway shortly before it closed. It was so incredible to see it in its original theater (which is technically OFF broadway) and I met the actor who played Roger afterward. I saw the movie as a teen and became obsessed and my parents are cool enough that they made my dream to see it on broadway a reality.
15. Worked at Wegmans (first job) and held some pretty cool titles including photo tech and pharmacy tech. I started as a cashier, transferred to the service desk, then transferred a couple more times. It was a fun place to work and I have always credited working there as what started breaking me out of my shell. I was painfully shy before that.
16. I have amassed a very large home library which I am so proud of and happy about.
17. I’ve seen lots of musicals with my aunt. We have season tickets to the local theater and have an amazing time. Rent will always be my favorite with Wicked being a close second.
18. Gone on two cruises, one for our honeymoon in 2013 and one in 2016 (which I got very sick for, but still)!
19. Served as the Matron of Honor in my best friend’s wedding and a bridesmaid in my brother’s.
20. Did some writing for Desitin and made money as a writer for the first time!
21. Went on a whirlwind trip to NYC with Jerry and my dad when Jer and I were invited to the Rachael Ray show as part of a special audience for their weight loss episode. What a cool experience to see the show taping, PLUS we got $400 in Target gift cards and gym memberships.
22. Met Chuck Palahniuk, my favorite author! We met at BEA and he was so kind and gracious. Speaking of celebrity run-ins, I also almost died of excitement back in the day when I met Secondhand Serenade with whom I used to be obsessed. My brother didn’t stop making fun of me after it first happened because I excitedly/nervously told the singer how much I loved his music. Ahahaha. What a little dweeb. It still goes on the cool things list though because at the time, I was floating from excitement. I still do love his music.
23. Became an aunt! I have two nephews who are hilarious and sweet.
24. Started a book club that has been going strong since 2013.
25. Have done a lot of home renovations (with MANY more to come), including our barn door wall.
26. Took a chance on love, met a man I didn’t know in person at the airport, and had him move in with me. Fell in love and got married to that man… booyah, haters (we don’t really have haters. Sorry. It sounded cool. We did have doubters though).
27. Hung out with sea lions on our honeymoon cruise in 2013! We got to go in the water and got hugs, kisses, and high fives from them. Can I have one as a pet? Please?
28. Have developed many meaningful relationships online including my husband and several amazing blog friends who get me SO much. It kind of breaks my heart sometimes that we don’t get to hang out in person.
All in all, I guess I’ve done some pretty cool things in my first 28 years. Here’s to the next 28!